Josh o' Trades

Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday Musings

Well, things are finally slowing down over here at Jo'T HQ. We're not dead, mind you, but I can actually see my desk for the first time in weeks, so there is that.

My daily pre-dawn trimmer in the Force has decided to take things up a notch: In a bold move, the cold weather of late has elected to sign a merger with the little pixie demons currently residing inside my right shoulder blade, mining for ore and playing the nerve-endings there like an Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen Battle of the Bands Playoff Superstar Spectacular (And, it's drunken, happy Eddie; not sober, bitter Eddie, so yeah). The entire right side of my upper torso and neck is so stiff, I can barely move. And falling asleep on the couch yesterday didn't help much. I can't turn my head to the right at all. I have to turn my whole chest and keep my head and neck perfectly still. I feel like Keaton in the first Batman. Only without the rubber molded pecs...

(Edited 2-21 to read 'Keaton', not 'Keating'. Thanks, JJ)

Other than that, the weekend was pretty worthless. The cold and sleet and ice made going anywhere a bad idea and made getting back home that much more interesting as you got to play Pole Position to avoid all the wrecks along the way.

The gang went and played Whirly-Ball Saturday night. Yeah, somewhere out there, someone said: "I'd like to combine the life and death realism of bumper cars and the playing field of basketball using only the tools of that game on the opening of Miami Vice where the guy had the scoop on his hand." Brilliant!

Still, much fun was had.

Also, it seems like my weekends are turning into Hitchcock viewing opportunities. Sunday morning, awake despite a double shot of NyQuil, Encore Mystery was showing Rope. Now, I probably haven't seen Rope in almost two decades. I knew I enjoyed the story (two young men pull off the "perfect murder" only to be foiled by their former Housemaster-Hitchcock's go-to guy, Jimmy Stewart), however, I'd forgotten that the whole movie is essentially a 1-er, one continuous take with no editing or cutting. Hitch accomplished this by shooting 10 minute segments and splicing them together by having a person walk in front of the camera to hide the cut. This process allows the whole movie to play out in real time. Very impressive.

The roads are still a little icy, so be careful out there (Cue the Hill Street Blues theme music). Thanks for stopping by.

-Jos

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure." ~Murphy's Law

2 Comments:

  • Hate to do this to you, but the first Batman was played by Michael Keaton, not Keating. You're crossing it with Robin Williams's character in Dead Poets Society. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:40 PM  

  • Darn that spell check!!!!!!

    It'll be the death of me, yet!

    By Blogger Josh, At 5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home