Josh o' Trades

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Happy February

So the Oscar Noms are out. People are making a fuss over Brokeback Mt.'s 8 nominations. While this is ok, it's not even in the same room of Titanic's 11. I've heard a few rumblings about King Kong's snub from Best Picture, but, for once, I have to agree with the Academy (I believe that may be the 8th sign of the Apocalypse right there). Now, while Kong was fun, and I enjoyed it immensely, it held no where near the emotional punch of the other nominees. In all fairness, Kong's greatest achievement was it's Special FX. But that's really about it. The acting was fair, but not great. And the film as a whole just didn't do very much for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the original film (though Dad and I really enjoyed Son of Kong for the camp factor) and I only watched the new one out of respect for Peter Jackson. I'm more upset that The Constant Gardner didn't get nods for Best Picture and Best Actor. At least Rachel Weisz got her due. But, Ralph Fiennes just got plain robbed. It's a shame. It was one of my favorite films last year.

And, just because I know I'll hear about it if I don't, what's up with Sith's snub for Special FX? Like I said before, it's time for a new Academy.

O Captain, My Captain...I was watching TV last night and came across Dead Poet's Society. It's one of those films, like Shawshank, that whenever I come across it, I have to stop and watch it through to the ending. This is one of those films that just gets right to the heart of me. That inspires me to be more than I am. And, while I grew up just about as far from the Ivy East as possible, I still identified with Ethan Hawke's Todd Anderson. It's truly a great film and still on my Top 10 of All Time list.

My buddy Nathan has some great news. I won't steal his thunder, so I'll let him tell you.

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of the Columbia Accident. I spoke earlier about the Challenger Accident and it's affects on the world. What I said then stays true. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the crew.

The Everwood script is taking a while to break. I'm reading a few first season scripts right now and plan to watch the episodes on DVD this weekend. I don't want to rush this. This will be fun...eventually. But, for now, there is a long way to go.

A couple of weekends ago, Hugo and I were at the theater waiting for Tay and Vaughn. While we were watching some upcoming trailers, a woman approached us and asked if we wanted to test a new trailer. Hugo and I both agreed and in a few minutes were seated in a little directors chair, laptop fired up before us, headphones on our ears. It was a trailer for the new Adam Sandler film, Click. Hugo and I saw two different 30-second trailers and were asked our opinions of them:

LADY: So, what did you enjoy the most about what you saw?

ME: Well, I really liked the premise.

LADY: The premise?

ME: Yes.

LADY: What is that? What's a premise?

ME: ...

LADY: Was that someone in the movie?

ME: (Giving Hugo a rather scared look) Uh...the premise. It's...like the concept of the film.

LADY: Oh. That's nice. They asked me to write down any uncommon words. I like that. Premise. I've never heard that one before.

Later, as we were walking over to meet up with the others:

ME: She...she never heard of premise before?

HUGO: Dude.

ME: It's just...That was...I...That was like a 3rd Grade vocabulary word!

HUGO: I know.

ME: A 3rd Grade vocabulary word, in...in LOUISIANA!

HUGO: Dude, just let it go.


"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." ~Mark Twain

4 Comments:

  • Doesn't it make you just want to go "Dough!!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:54 AM  

  • Oy... that's all I can say... oy. I was wondering why you looked so shell-shocked and dismayed as you made your way over to us.

    By Blogger Taylor, At 11:35 AM  

  • Here, here, Mad Dog! Though, I will never be able to get the vision of 3P0 & R2 out of my head now. Thanks a lot!

    By Blogger Josh, At 5:21 AM  

  • It's a good thing that you didn't use confusing "industry words" like plot, or character development.

    Thanks for the mention. I'm looking forward to hearing which of my potential donors has the best chance of being a match!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home