Josh o' Trades

Monday, February 27, 2006

The Clearing At The End Of The Path

Good night, Old Man. Darren McGavin is gone. Best known as Ralphie's Dad in A Christmas Story, McGavin's charm and charisma made him as popular a yuletide figure as George Bailey. I first knew him as Gus Sands, Kim Basinger's boyfriend with the "eye that sees all," from The Natural. He had over 170 roles in both television and the silver screen. He was 84.

The Shakiest Gun in the West has made his last draw. Don Knotts was more than an actor, or even a person. To me, he IS my childhood. From Henry Limpet to Luther Heggs, from Ralph Furley to, yes, Barney Fife, Mr. Knotts will always be the person I think of whenever I get nostalgic for the more simple times of yesteryear. He was 81.

(Edited to add)

Just found out that Dennis Weaver has also left us. I still remember vividly watching him on Gunsmoke and Dr. Kildare reruns. His turn as Sam McCloud was another of those role models I looked up to. But, it was probably his David Mann, in Spielberg's Duel, that I'll always know him for. He was 82.

Good Morrow, Gentlemen. May your days always be bright, and your nights be warm.

"We understand death for the first time when he puts his hand upon one whom we love." ~Madame de Stael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home