Josh o' Trades

Monday, March 27, 2006

Don't Drink And Draw...

I've noted on several occasions that Shiner Bock was the official soft drink of the Dallas Art Institute, and with good reason. There were many a day when my cohorts would need the warming effects of that amber nectar just to make it thru the next class.

This was true at no greater time than the night before projects were due.

One such night took place during the end of our 3rd quarter. All of the Scosa's were accounted for: Sparky, Sti-Fu, Lady Steph, Belligerent Tom, Plainview, Sin-D, E-Rock, and myself. And Rueben. It was one of the last times all of us would be in the same class. Thanks, I'm sure, in part to our class administrative advisor, Lauren House, and her complete, bitter contemptment of the very air my small band of merry men (and women) breathed.

Anyway, I'd had to work at the Peach Pit until 9, and now it's after 10 pm and the crew has just decided to get around to the assignment, due the following morning at 8 am. If I recall correctly, the assignment was to create 3 different fashion designs, complete with textures and color schemes, directly onto the art board, and finish with taped edges and hardstock overlay for protection. As was my part on the assembly line, I was busy working away on the finished boards with the beveled mat cutter and black masking tape. (It helps to realize that I do this not only because I'm the one sober person in the room at this point, but also, that I wouldn't trust the rest of those idiots with a sharp blade if my life depended on it. Which it did, at one point, but that too, is another story.)

So I look over at the group to see how close we are to finishing, and see them converging over Rueben. Now, Rueben had started drinking sometime around 9 that morning in order to stay on the same level of McCoy, our life drawing instructor. (This was something of a must with McCoy, seeing as she herself had a tendency to spend a little too much time conversing with the Dark Troll.) Regardless, Rueben's somewhere into his 3rd case of Shiner by that point, and is feeling quite good about the state of the world.

Except, here's the thing. He's so blitzed that he's done the assignment in the BACK of the art board. The blue side. Sparky and Sti-Fu are crying, they're laughing so hard, and Lady Steph's rolling around on the Sugar-Pop covered floor. I (being the usual voice of reason) make a motion to alert Rueben of his folly. But to no avail. The others won't stand for it. "It's time for us to stop bailing him out," they state. "It's time for him to take responsibility for his own actions."

Cut to class, the next day. Rueben can't even remember the day before, let alone the project (which I matted and overlaid for him, anyway) so he doesn't see it before he turns it in. The rest of us are hovering around the instructor's desk, waiting for her to start grading.

Now, the story could end here, and I'd be happy if it did. Because it would prove how good triumphs over evil. How doing your best will help you overcome the pitfalls of society. How life could be seen as fair.

So, of course, it doesn't...

See, when we got the projects back, our instructor was in a mood about how we just didn't understand the assignment. How we were just putting designs down on paper with no real passion for it. How none of the projects held even the slightest level of creativity.

Save one.

Yeah, you guessed it. Overwhelmed by his sense of originally and ability to think outside the box, Rueben was given the only "A" on that project.

Just goes to show you, life is only as fair as you can fake it.

Take heed, kids, don't drink and draw...or you'll end up getting an A.

Think I need a drink...

-Jos

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver. ~Jack Handey ~Saturday Night Live

1 Comments:

  • Love the quote!!!

    The Princess

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home