Josh o' Trades

Thursday, March 30, 2006

M-I-C-K-E-Y

When I was working at (NAME WITHHELD) there was a guy who came around every month or so to service all of the printers we used. His name was Mickey. Mickey was in his early 60's, had grown kids and a couple of grandkids.

Here was a guy who should have been resting in a hammock somewhere with a stack of books as tall as he was. Instead, Mickey was on the road well over 300 days of the year, running from one printhouse to another. And not because he loved it. (He hated the entire print industry, as a matter of fact.) No, he did it because he didn't have 2 dimes to rub together most of the time.

Mickey did what he did because he didn't know anything else. He had no savings, no pension, no nest-egg. No rich relative from which to receive a large inheritance. No, Mickey was stuck. Going where no one else wanted to go. Doing what no one else wanted to do. Because he had to. If he didn't, chances were pretty good that he wouldn't have a job anymore.

I don't want to end up like that. I don't want to do what I'm doing today for the next 30 years. I don't want to be Mickey.

But there are times I feel like I'm well on my way. And that scares me to no end.

-Jos

"There is much in the world to make us afraid. There is much more in our faith to make us unafraid." ~Frederick W. Cropp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home