Josh o' Trades

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I Smell A Rat(ner)

So the new X3 trailer is out.

Many of you know how I feel about 20th Century Fox's decision to rush production on the 3rd (and final) installment of the X-Men franchise. And you how I feel about Brett Ratner.

I've been a fan of the books since I was a kid and felt that any interpretation of them on the big screen would not be able to do them justice. However, that changed when I heard that Bryan Singer was going to take the challenge. With the phenomenal Usual Suspects and a good take on King's Apt Pupil under his belt, I felt confidant that the characters I'd known throughout childhood were in good hands.

And they were. The first film was just great as a set-up for the series. Great casting and well rounded characters that you could bond with quite quickly. The second film built on the first and just kept getting better. Bigger sets, bigger effects budget, bigger production value. Everything was pointing to a wonderful franchise with potential for several future films.

And then real life set in. Singer, upset with having to wait for the green light from the Powers That Be, took a call from DC to come help breathe some life into one of their little icons. The result was that now you had two possible super hero movies coming out during the same year. However, Singer's Superman has a much longer pre-production timeframe and a much more realistic shooting schedule.

And X3 has...Brett Ratner. Now, I give the man grief. Some of it he deserves. Some of it he doesn't.

I don't know where I stand on this one. I want it to be good, but the couple of scripts I've read and most of the production stills I've seen haven't looked too promising. But, this trailer looks good. Really good. And even though I know the fate of a couple of the major characters (which I hate) and know the relationship the movie revolves around (the completely wrong direction, if you ask me) I still think a respectable director could pull this off.

This trailer looks good. Moriarty said that it reminds him of the Terminator movies, and I agree with him. This, too, is "a third film made by someone other than the person who kickstarted a franchise." Now, I'm a fan of T3, and think it fit well into the world created by Cameron. But, Mostow had the time and support to make the movie he wanted. I'm not sure how much of X3 is Ratner's and how much is the studio's. And even if a lot is Ratner's, it's still...Ratner's.



Things are going well here at Jo'T HQ. The Everwood spec-script is coming together, I'm starting some pencil break-downs for a couple of submissions, and I'm slowly converting my inner circle into Browncoats. Life is good at the moment.

Oh, and be sure to give Blondie some good thoughts today around 11. She's having shoulder surgery to remove the growth and clean up the calcium deposits and bone chips. She'll be out of commission for a week or so, but it will be mostly over Spring Break.

Thanks for stopping by. Get back to work.

-Jos

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike." ~Oscar Wilde

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home