Josh o' Trades

Monday, March 06, 2006

My Award Show Has A First Name...

And so another award season has come to pass.

I found last night's Oscars to be rather dull. No real breakthroughs or statue monopolies of Lord of the Rings fame. Jon Stewart was charming and witty, though I think he toned it way down. Which was my feel of the whole ceremony. Just no one looked to having a good time, save for Cloones. And with JJ and E pining away from both sides, it was hard to keep from wanting to smack the smirk off his handsome, handsome face.

For the most part, I'm satisfied of the results:

Supporting Actor: George Clooney - Pretty Boy came through something fierce this year with some brilliant acting and directing. Good for him to be recognized (and rewarded) for it.

Visual Effects: KING KONG - Outstanding work form my favorite Kiwis! Tika hoki, Weta!

Best Animated Feature: WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT - Park & Box knocked another one out of the park. Good work, guys.

Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz - Well deserved! Great performance and a gracious acceptance. I look forward to what she peruses after motherhood.

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman - A fine actor with a remarkable resume. Not exactly a chameleon in the vein of Dreyfuss or (the other) Hoffman, but a solid actor with a very wide range.

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon - She's just so cute! Genuine and sincere. If Joaquin wasn't able to take home a statute for this movie, I'm glad the Blonde one could.

Adapted Screenplay: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Haven't read the short story yet (it's on my stack of paperbacks in my den, just waiting) but I loved the screenplay. The movie got a lot of attention and controversy because of the gender of the principles, but the story underneath was real and heartbreaking. Just like real life. If people could turn off their prejudices for a little while and see the spirit of the film, I think they would be able to see this for what it is: A true, modern day love story.

Best Director: Ang Lee - Thank you, Mr. Lee. Beautiful scope. Wonderful story. Great acting. And the balls to pull it off. Well done.

Best Motion Picture of the Year: CRASH - A little overrated in my opinion. A little too on the nose. Playing the racism card simply for the sake of playing it. Fine acting. Excellent cast. Good story that could have been great, but it just wasn't.

I'm upset over Bana and Munich getting snubbed this year. It really was the most powerful film I saw this season. And Cinderella Man was outstanding as well.

But, like Stewart himself said: Martin Scorsese 0 Oscars, 3 6 Mafia - 1

So, there is that.

-Jos

"I sometimes marvel at the extraordinary docility with which Americans submit to speeches." ~Adlai E. Stevenson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home